On July 9th Longdon Park School opened its doors to a group of people that were involved in the British Boys for British Farms organisation. The school had been originally used by the YMCA throughout the 1960’s to educate groups of boys into farming methods before they moved onto work in the industry.
Around 30 visitors came onto the site and spent the morning reminiscing about their times at the school. It was interesting to hear the many tales and a few stories of the scrapes the boys used to get into! Hearing that some of visitors slept in the school ICT room and the exact location of beds in the Ks2 classroom brought home how much history our school building has. The Headteacher’s office still contains the original stained glass that all the old boys remembered.
The event was attended by a number of local visitors and hopefully further links can now be built with different groups and organisations in the Hilton & Egginton area. The morning was really successful and further events in the future are already being planned, including inviting some of the group to come to the school to speak to our pupils.
A Derby Telegraph archive picture of a British Boys for British Farms training centre taken in February 1944.